Stammwerk Dessau Relics
Hugo Junkers Technikmuseum
Dessau was the former Homebase of Junkers Flugzeugwerke. Therefore it is the perfect location for a museum, which tries to prevent the work of Hugo Junkers and his companies. Nevertheless, in Dessau are just a few things left, which have originally been in use during the time of Junkers Flugzeugwerke. Most buildings were destroyed already during WWII or at least during the initial years following WWII. Only a few items are left today.
In 1992 the Foerderverein Technikmuseum Hugo Junkers was founded. This institution has the aim to preserve the last remaining items of Junkers Flugzeugwerke in Dessau. At the former Junkers airfield a technical museum was created, where mostly Junkers exhibits are collected. Since 1995 a few aircraft, all of them were former Eastern military and agricultural aircraft, were presented in a small exhibit. During the following years several technical installations at the Junkers airfield were restorated, i.e.
Junkers Windchannel of 1934
Junkers Compensation Area of 1935
Junkers Administration Building of 1934
parts of the Junkers runway system
The main building of the Technikmuseum is a hangar of 1952, which was the initial building of the newly formed VEB Flugzeugbau in Dessau. But due to the rivals of the 17th June 1953 the Dessau developement of a new aviation technology center in the G.D.R. was stopped. When these activities were reactivated two years later, Dresden was selected as the new location for the G.D.R. aviation technology center. However, the hangar survived until today and is now the housing for the Junkers collection at Dessau.
There are also some rumors, that the old Junkers rocket test equipements from 1932 are still existing somewhere in the area. Additionally some Junkers engines were aquired and are part of the Junkers exhibition meanwhile:
Junkers HK160 engine
Junkers M12 Tandem engine
In 1995 the first Junkers aircraft was aquired in Norway. The Hugo Junkers Technikmuseum bought one of the Junkers Ju52 wreckages, which were salvaged from the Hartigvan Fjord at Narvik. The wreckage was brought to Dessau and underwent intensive restoration during the last few years there. Meantime, this original Ju52 is the center piece of the exhibition.
The official opening of the Hugo Junkers Technikmuseum took place on 31st May 2001. The exhibition hall with the Ju52 is not a former Junkers building, but is a postwar construction of the 50s. On 4200 sqm the Ju52 is shown together with several Junkers engines, i.e. the single existing Jumo 207, a Jumo 213, a Jumo 004 and an airblade of Junkers G38. For further details of this Junkers exhibit please refer to the special sections. Latest aquisition of the museum is a Junkers metal house, which represents Hugo Junkers architectural phase in the late 20s.
The museum is reachable at:
Technikmuseum Hugo Junkers
Kuehnauer Str. 161a
Opening: daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Foerderverein is reachable at:
Forderverein e.V. Technikmuseum Hugo Junkers
Technik-Museum Hugo Junkers by R. Stenzel with photos of Soviet aircraft
Paul Nann's Dessau Photos inside/outside photo sets of aircraft
Airliner.net with more photos from Dessau Technikmuseum
Sachsen Anhalt zerfallt with actual Windchannel photo
Building No. 200: Junkers Flugzeugwerke Administration Building
The General Administration Building of Junkers Flugzeugwerke is still existing in Dessau at Kuehnauer Str. 161. The idea for this building came from Hugo Junkers himself and he invested a lot of time in the planning of this building. However, before the construction work started in March 1934, Hugo Junkers was already forced out of his company. The final design work was performed by the architectural office of Werner Issel in Berlin. In Summer 1935 the office building was finished. Its architecture is oriented at the Dessau Bauhaus style.
The building was severly damaged during a bomb attack on Dessau in September 1944. After WWII there was not a regular utilization of the building and the construction was more and more damaged. For a period it was used as a military administration for the near transport units of the NVA. After the reunification the building was taken over by the German Government and in 1994 it was bought by the Land Sachsen. Since then, the building is the official Presidial Departement of Dessau. In December 1994 an intensive restoration work was started, which took at least 5 years until 1999.
Land Sachsen Anhalt with photos and infos about the restoration
Building No. 100: Junkers Construction Office Building
The Junkers Building No. 100 at the original Southern company side, which originally servered as the Construction Office is still existing at the B185 Junkers Street. During WWII this building took severe damages. About 60% of the western corner of the buildung was damaged, while about 90% of the eastern area was destroyed. Nevertheless, the building was not thrown down, but repaired after WWII by the Russians and used as part of the Soviet Camp at Dessau airfield. Since the nineties the building is part of the Hugo Junkers Kaserne of the Bundeswehr.
Building 403: Otto Mader Werke Office Building
The Office Building No. 403 of the Otto-Mader-Werke is still existing at the South side of the B185 Junkers Street. During WWII this building was slightly damaged and after WWII the Soviets used it as part of their military camp in Dessau. In the nineties the building was handed over to the German Bundeswehr and today it is part of the Hugo Junkers Kaserne.
Building No. 300: Junkers Lehrwerkstatt
Building No. 300 was erected in 1936 as the new Junkers Berufsschule and the Junkers Lehrwerkstatt (Educational Workshop) at the Koethener Strasse 93 near to the ICO and Junkers Flugzeugwerke facilities. In 1945 this building was handed over to the Robert-Koch-Krankenhaus and it is still today part of the hospital.
St. Joseph Krankenhaus with photos and Infos
Bzulding 201/202 and Runway Groundfloor and Apron
Top Left: Middle part of the Runway towards Western Direction
Top Right: Eastern part of the Runway towards Western Direction
Below: Groundfloor of Hangar 201/202
The original Runway of the Junkers Flugzeugwerke survived WWII and the Russian destroyment of the Junkers Flugzeugwerke. As part of the airfield it was initially used by Soviet aircraft until the closure of the airport. When the airfield was reopened in the nineties, the still existing runway was extended towards West and the old runway remained unused. Today the runway has the status of a monument and may not be altered or removed.
When the Junkers Flugzeugwerke were destroyed by the Russians during the second half of the fourties, all buildings were totally removed. Nevertheless, the ground floors of most hangars are still existing today, especially those of Hangar 201 and Hangar 202, but also on the South side of the airfield of Hangar 225 and 226.
Dessauer Geraeteindustri GmbH / Remains of ICO Dessau
The former Junkers+Co was already absorbed in 1932 by Robert Bosch GmbH. However, the Dessau facilities of ICO/Robert Bosch remained in service after the merger. In 1946 the facilities of Robert Bosch / Junkers were integrated into the VEB Gasgeraete and remained in service until the collapse of the German Democratic Republic. Several approaches to privatization finally led to the Dessauer Geraeteindustrie GmbH, which today is located in the former ICO buildings at Junkers Strasse 35 to 36.
Dessauer Geraeteindustrie GmbH buy some of the last products from Junkers at Dessau!
VEB Junkalor ( Remains of Kaloriferwerke
The Eastern Aera of the Mannheimer Strasse was the former Kaloriferwerke aera. This company was transfered into the VEB Junkalor after WWII. A lot of the former buildings are still to be found here until the mid of the nineties. However, this company has been dissolved in the meantime and its future is very dark.
(Republik) Land Flucht with photos and infos about the current situation in Dessau-West
Dessau West: Junkers Employee City
During the Thirties a new part of Dessau was erected for the people, who worked at Junkers Flugzeug and Motorenwerke in Dessau. This new part of the City was named Dessau-West. There are still some streets in Dessau-West, which show the original style of this city, i.e. Taubenstrasse, Rodebillestrasse, Steubenstrasse and the Rodebille School, which is also out of use meanwhile. This part of Dessau is more and more unused and might be scrapped soon.
(Republik) Land Flucht with photos and infos about the current situation in Dessau-West
The current airfield of Dessau is the former Junkers company airport from which a lot of first flights of Junkers prototypes were launched and lots of record braking flights were started, i.e. Koehl's flight over the Atlantic Ocean. This airport was officially opened in 1926 at the road from Dessau to Kleinkuehnau. Previously all Junkers test flights had to be performed at Mosigkau, where take off and landing was performed on a small gras strip. The new airport at Kleinkuehnau got a beton runway from the beginning. Until 1945 this airfield became the Junkers company airport, but it was also used by Lufthansa for commercial flights and by amateur pilots during these years.
In 1945 the airfield was taken over by the Soviet forces. In 1952 the airfield was reopened for German users, when the GST (Gesellschaft fuer Sport und Technik) started glider flights at Dessau. From 1953 to 1968 the airfield was used for the pilot training of the transport pilots of the NVA. On 11th August 1978 the Dessau airfield was officially closed.
Following the reunification of Germany hobby pilots started the initiative to reopen the Dessau airfields for flight traffic. The first aircraft arrived Eastern 1990 with special permission, including D-AQUI Ju52 of Lufthansa. Even if the beton runway still existed, it could not be used due to severe structural damage. Therefore take-off and landings were made from the gras areas of the airfield. On 20th August 1994 the new beton runway was finished and the "Hugo Junkers Flugplatz" Dessau was officially reopened with the landing of D-AQUI and a fly over of three Ju-Air Ju52s.
The airport is reachable:
Flugplatz Dessau GmbH
Mosigkauer Str. 30
Airspeed with lots of airport details
Themenkreis Prof. Hugo Junkers
The private workgroup Themenkreis e.V. Prof. Hugo Junkers was already established in 1984 at Dessau. Currently this workgroup is independent from the Technikmuseum and the Foerderverein. The major task of this workgroup is the study and preservation of all facts around Prod. Hugo Junkers, i.e. aircraft and engine designs, but also gas dynamical inventions of Hugo Junkers and the ICO developements. This group sees itself as a Junkers traditional organisation and most of its members are previous Junkers workers and engineers.
The workgroup meets on the first Wednesday per month in the old Junkers administration building directly aside from the Technikmuseum. This building houses also the Dessau Police Departement. Special studying themes are discussed during the workgroup meetings and printed in membership papers.
The Themenkreis e.V. is reachable:
Themenkreis e.V. Prof. Hugo Junkers
z.Hd. Herrn W. Hinze
or at the monthly workgroup meeting
at first Wednesday per month
at Kuehnauer Str. 160
introduced Jan 2004, transfered Dec 2017
contents last updated 8 Oct 2006